Monday, January 03, 2011

Day 1 of detox

Just a short post to say that I, like 90% of the rest of the country, am embarking on a seriously hardcore detox.

For anyone who knows me, the last time I detoxed from anything was back in January 2005, and I managed to ween myself off from alcohol for the whole month. I had some moral support in that my then boyfriend was also giving up the sauce, which was a huge inducement for me to stick to it.

Despite flying solo these days, I think the memory of my day long nausea will be enough motivation for me to stick with a detox for a while. I wasn't sick, but just that edgy sort of queasy, which stayed with me for the whole day. I have removed two wine glasses, three wine bottles (empty) and moved my new years eve emergency bottles of Westons cider to the wine rack - out of sight, out of mind. I decided to incentivise the whole project by mentally deciding that the lovely new bottle of Prosecco would be consumed if I could last out for a month.

The other reason for wanting to purge myself of my favorite liquid poison is that I'm training for a half marathon in February, and I'm convinced if I stopped, it might just give me that health edge I've been craving. I mean, why do all of this training and ruin it in the space of a couple of wine glasses per night? My personal trainer at the gym said that drinking destroys something like 60% of new muscle built.

So perhaps this month will be my little experiment. I know the training is working. My distance, speed, stamina and physical strength are slowly but surely improving. Sans booze for a month? Hopefully I'll be incredibly and unrecognizably fit, and will manage my soon approaching three-hour runs with speed and agility, like I'm one of those super-fit speedy runners on the seafront who I watch the backs of enviously, while they zoom off into the distance of Hove Lagoon, while I sadly lag behind eating their dust.

Before and after photos? Don't hold your breath. However, if you're interested in seeing how slowly I currently run (albeit for very long distances), you can check out my Run Keeper profile here: http://runkeeper.com/user/amyriley/profile.

Brighton Half Marathon is on Sunday 20 February 2011. If you feel like braving the cold, come out and support. After collapsing in a heap at the finish line, I plan on spending the whole of the afternoon in the pub, where there will no doubt be some excellent photos of carnage - by which point, I will be able to drink as much as I want to!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Mercer said...

how'd this go????

12:38 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

hello, the detox didn't last longer than a few days at a go, but the run went very well! i keep going on and off the health thang.

i now have the marathon in sight and healthy ways are starting to slowly but surely kick in.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home