Sunday, December 07, 2008

Outfit ideas for "Club Tropicana" work xmas party

This is like a dream come true for me. Second day of work, big staff meeting, and the first thing that gets announced is - via slide show (oh yes) - this year's "Club Tropicana" Staff Xmas Party - and I'm practically wetting myself. What can I say? I'm easily pleased. I'm doubly bowled over by the fact that they've hired DJ Derek (it's his birthday on the day) but that's another story.


Just in case you didn''t know, I LOVE Wham's "Club Tropicana", more than life itself. So much that I used to listen to it every day in the morning before going to work. So much that I was considering having it as my birthday party theme for next year - but then decided against it since everyone is wearing bikini's, swimming trunks and sunglasses and there's simply not enough costume scope with that.
So, to find out that we're only dressing up in 1980s outfits in 2-3 weeks time and that people are definitely going to go to town with this - the stakes have been raised.
So for costumes, with people coming as Ronald Reagan and the A-team, I can't let this opportunity go a-miss.

Idea 1: KID N PLAY, FRESH PRINCE, SPIKE LEE - THAT WHOLE HIP HOP THANG 

Found the Retro Kidz image on an '80s site' and it got me thinking.  It got me thinking fuck-off ghetto blaster (we called them jam boxes), gold chains, tight acid washed jeans....hm. Or maybe just borrow some parachute pants from my friend Simon...!



Idea 2: WHO DO I ALREADY LOOK LIKE IN AN 80S FILM?

80s films. I love them. So much. "Pretty in Pink" - my all-time favourite movie. I won't get much respect for admitting that, but it's old news. It's really not that great, but the music, the clothes, the record shop that I swear was the one used in "High Fidelity". Appreciating PiP is like understanding how great it is to eat KitKats first thing in the morning and drinking Dr Pepper on a reallyhot day. It's not about taste, it's just about right place at the right time.

Again, these movie stills are nicked from The Eighties Blog. 

Funnily enough, I spent a whole day recently, fed up of: being broke/unemployed/looking for jobs, listening to nearly every single podcast from Stuck in the 80s, a radio show and website from Florida. It's the sort of thing that makes you wish that you could go hang out with people who talked about things as stupid as the 1980s. A lot of my friends are doing the 80s for the first time and actually have an appreciation for the time, even if some of them weren't even born until 1985. Which is cool.
I just came across this site Fast-Rewind, which is devoted to the 80s cinema, so I might root around on their previews.



Winona Ryder in "Heathers" - I loved this movie when it came out. Who didn't want to be or already feel like her? Knew so many guys like Christian Slater, only luckily they didn't try to blow up the high school. 



Winona again in "Beetlejuice" - a lot of people in junior high used to tell me that I looked like her, or like Anne Frank. I wasn't really doing the goth or new wave thing in 87/88 the way my friends were, but I definitely vintaged it up and that's probably - that and the rice powder - that made people draw the parallel.



Ally Sheedy in "Breakfast Club" - I feel like I master that look on a daily basis. Only I don't wear all black, but frumpy skirts and street shoes and a big bag - might give it a miss.

Idea3: INSPIRED BY MUSIC

Just found another site Like Totally 80s, which has some pretty cool ideas...Punk Rock Girl a la the Dead Milkmen Song. But I feel I did that look at the time TO ITS LIMIT ya know what I mean?



I bet these people never threw away these clothes and probably dress like this all the time.

Idea 4:PRETTY IN PINK

Not thinking Mollie Ringwald, but more Annie Potts.




I think I've exhausted myself with all of this online exertion and my neck is starting to stiffen up too. It's nearly 11pm. I need to get my beauty rest and dream up something good. Maybe I'll get the sewing machine out....will be drifting off to sleep to the sounds of El DeBarge "Rhythm of the Night" and Bell Biv Devoe's "Poison", two songs that for some reason are stuck on repeat - like for years. Not good, my friends. At least it's not Lionel Richie anymore!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home