Thursday, October 02, 2008

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi and Positive Psychology

I've been doing research all day on different publications, analysing the kind of features they have, and found an article on happiness, in an American Ariline magazine article of all places. The article referred to Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, a Hungarian psychology professor who writes about happiness and well-being - it's all about flow. I like the idea of flow. When I was working on my first novel, my friend Bonnie, a painter, used to ask me how the "flow" was going. I'd never heard that word used, apart from a dance sense, back when I used to talk about "energy". It wasn't until I left the realm of dancers that I realised that a lot of people didn't understand things like "energy" and "flow". I'm not sure how much my writing is flowing, or at least it is , but not in the way that I once imagined. With creative writing, I write every day. This is what I tell other people, when we talk shop about writing fiction. But if I'm honest - and this does occur to me all of the time - I don't really write every day now that I'm a freelance journalist. I jot down my dreams about 4 out of 7 days in the week. Sometimes if I'm good I'll do some writing practice or save a chunk of time just to work on the novella. I do write a lot at the moment, though - but the outputs are usually articles, and more of my time is spent right now researching so I can get more freelance work and/or a full-time job. So I am writing, but being a writer is not the constant days of writing I thought it would be. One web journalist I know writes 2000 words a day for articles for the magazine's site. Most people I've told this to say this is pretty good going. I'm not at that stage yet, but this is perfectly okay with me. I know it's just a stage. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi and Positive Psychology
Blogged with the Flock Browser

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home