Tuesday, December 11, 2007

In Memory of Lawrence Jupp

Dave Wood phoned me up last night to share some bad news: our friend Lawrence was instantly killed yesterday morning in a head-on collision between his motorcycle and another vehicle in Essex. He was 28. Lawrence had only recently returned from a year's travel around the world, and it was only 2 weeks ago that we were all sitting in the Basketmakers Pub catching up with him. I hadn't seen Lawrence in probably 4 or 5 years. It was a great reunion for all. I first met Lawrence when I moved down to Brighton to live with Joe, who I was then dating. Lawrence attended Sussex University and graduated in 2000, having done an undergraduate degree in programming alongside Dave, Joe and others. I spent many a mornings with him and Bob that summer, drinking tea and sitting in the basement pf their student house watching morning tv and being grumpily unemployed together. When I saw him, I was struck by the fact that the grumpyness that marked his earlier 20s was replaced by an upbeat positivity and excitement for the wider world. He talked of maybe living in New Zealand next. Lawrence was a keen outdoor enthusiast and it was great to become friends on Flickr where his pictures from his recent travels are on display. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljupp/ The one thing Lawrence taught me was that you can eat meat that's gone past the sell-by date and it won't kill you. Either that, or he had a stomach of steel! Dave's tribute Article in Evening Star http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7137372.stm http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7139399.stm

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're going to miss Loz so much - I actually can't believe he's gone. The world just got a little bit blander...

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked with Lozza for a couple of years. Only spoke to him on MSN last week. Can't believe it.He will be missed by many.

1:07 PM  
Blogger KiTT said...

I worked with Loz for a couple of years and flew kites together on occasion. I really liked the guy. He was a genuine, friendly, trustworthy person. A rare individual who will be very sadly missed.

3:26 AM  
Blogger Stretch said...

Hi. So sorry to hear about Lawrence. I work at the East Anglian in Ipswich and was gutted to see the front cover picture today. I was at Suffolk College with Lawrence on the same course as him and he was a great friend, always ready to help others, i lost touch when we all left the course and ofetn wondered how he was getting on. He will be sadly missed.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Gary Brackley said...

Lawrence will be sorely missed. I have never heard him utter a word in anger or belitte someone. I met his sister Madeline and eventually married her. I then began to know lawrence as a friend.
We then became brothers and that is what has been taken away.
No one i have met before can really say that they have "lived" life to the full the way he has. I am thankful that he made his trip around the world and that he met his niece and nephew. If ever someone was a role model, it was him. Take care bruv, i know you are having fun, wherever you are.
Gary.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hey everyone

It's great to read all comments. It's such a loss. Everyone I know is so shocked because he'd just come back into a few lives after such a long gap.

I'm waiting to hear from Dave if there's a funeral service, or flower collection, or whatever. Get in touch if you aren't in touch with the family and want to know further details.

My email is in the right ("Email me").

Amy xx

3:00 AM  
Blogger RedYetiDave said...

Spoke to Gill, Lawrence's mum, again yesterday and she told me the funeral will be next Friday the 21st of Dec.

She is going to email me with full details later today and I will be sending them out on email from there.

Anyone reading this who I may not be in contact with at the moment should contact me using dave@drw.me.uk if they want further details.

I just put up my own posting with some of my memories of him:

http://drw.me.uk/RedYeti/2007/12/13/in-memoriam-lawrence-jupp-6-feb-1979-to-10-dec-2007/

Dave Wood (Red Yeti)

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Asif Kamal said...

He will be missed. I worked with Lawrence a few years ago & he was always the fun loving, out going & decent individual we all got on with.

He will be missed.

Asif

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Jacko said...

I too used to work with Lawrence a few years ago in Farnborough. In fact I remember the day that I interviewed him and from that day on, always remember what a honest, decent, genuine and helpful guy he was. Would always be willing to help out and push himself further.....

I heard the news this week and I can't believe it. I've taken a look this week at some of his amazing pictures and it looks like his trip was a wonderful experience. I'm sure he'd want us to remember that you can't plan what happens and you really do need to live in the moment...

My thoughts are with his family, friends and his girfriend Claire.

Mark

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Dad said...

It really is heart-warming to read the kind words about my son Lawrence. I would normally have had to seek his help to post comments on a site like this but hopefully i've managed. He was not only my son but my best friend and more than any father could have wished or hoped for. He died on his way over to my home, intending to do what he always enjoyed doing, helping others. Thankfully he had completed his amazing world tour with Claire, so I can seek some solace in that. I will miss him enormously. If anyone should wish to contact me, my e-mail is graham@juppy.co.uk.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home