Wednesday, August 01, 2007

First Day of August and Even God Has Gone on Holiday

Today is my last day of work for the week and thank the lucky starlings of Brighton Pier. I am literally dragging my sorry heels up and down North Street, in a bad semblance of a human being. Not only is my body reeling from the strange cakes and bacon buttes from Frequency Festival, but it is HOT. Summer has arrived and what I want to to know and scream and shout is -- why didn't I get advance notification? I was so enjoying the grey cold shit weather that adorned my shoulders like a spinster's shawl. On top of everything, my clothes' buttons are popping off from PMS (PMT, whatever), I've had to cancel my bank card because some genius asshole got a copy of my card, eeked out my pin, went on holiday in Manhattan, and took out $200. I never took myself as a potential victim of card fraud, but it seems I'm not the only one. They say that chip and pin is helping beat the fraudsters, but I fail to see this logic as somone managed to get mine. After having two rather unsatisfactory conversations with my bank since yesterday, I now have to fax them all the relevant information so they can proceed with the investigation. I am full of vitriolic rage at the situation, but got some good pointers from a pal in the States, who phoned yesterday to commiserate. To avoide being a victim of credit card fraud:
  1. Report dodgy payments to your bank & cancel your card ASAP
  2. Don't use ATM cash machines
  3. Get cash from your bank branch
  4. Get cash while at the grocery store, doing cash back
  5. You can also do a credit freeze --CIFAS - the UK’s Fraud Prevention Service provides a range of services to enable its member organisations to exchange information and help identify and prevent fraud, including that relating to plastic cards. CIFAS’ main emphasis is on identity, application and first-party fraud. See www.cifas.org.uk
The sea beckons, but I've got another 3.5 hours of work, then it's all over for a little while. Sigh.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home