Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Mundane Things That Go On In My Life While Working On A Script

Dirty Dishes

I woke up one morning this week and found the grill pan, two pots, a Pyrex dish all sitting in the rubbish bin, plus about three plates, knives, forks and other cutlery on the floor around the rubbish bin. From the sublime to the ridiculous this house. I ummed and ahhed about whether to leave a note to say how stupid it was, or whether just to ignore it or go talk to Steve, who was the probable suspect. I mentioned it to Grant as we both reached for the kettle. “I just stay out of it.” Later that evening the same pile was sitting there. Actually this was last night (wed). It occurred to me – one of those unwashed dishes was MINE! I owned it and I sure as hell didn’t want it sitting there, amongst the bacteria and filth and rat populations that are just waiting for us to make ONE WRONG MOVE.

I was still umming and ahhing tonight, then thought, “I’m going to carry on with what I started last night.” Which was to rid the kitchen of all the things that belonged to me. I don’t need to explain why. I don’t even feel I need to explain to people why it’s more extreme putting dirty dishes in the rubbish than it is not doing them.

The ends don’t justify the means.

Work

My boss was being on top form today. We were both working away at our computers when she stops and turns her head halfways. “Is she singing ‘I’m getting married in the morning?’ It makes you wonder if she’s been proposed to. Do you know?”

“Nu-uh. I don’t think so. All I know is that she’s going to Thailand.”

My boss crinkled her nose and resumed her typing. “Well, if she’s not getting married, that’s not a good song psychologically for her to sing.”

Script

I'm still working on the character development. Progress is slow. I haven't even started on the first draft of the script (the bit where people talk, hit each other with sponge mallets, kill someone, cry about a seagull shitting on their heads) so it feels like a very far away goal. However, doing research and development at the beginning is doing me the world of good (as opposed to doing it halfway through a project, which has been the norm). It will be weekend 2 of being fairly dull. (Thin smile) All week I've been fighting off a cold. A few symptoms have manifested, but I'm mainly just exhausted all of the time and falling asleep at like 8pm which is officially lame. On the plus side, I'm not even missing the taste of booze, which is one addiction I don't need to worry about shelling out for. I'm optimistic. It's 8.16pm and I feel great. I'm currently addicted to herbal tea and fudge. I made extremely flat banana muffins and a leek, fennel and celery omelette this week. And I'm nearly finished with the life-changing book (Spike Mike Slackers & Dykes - yes it's taken me about 2 months to finish, but you know what, I don't care if I'm slow. It's so good, the book could just keep going another 2 decades and I wouldn't mind)

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home