Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Final Leg in a 3 Year Race

I met with Jean Marc to discuss the final details of the film's soundtrack and he's keen to get it done over the next week. I handed him my box of CDs with all the different tracks people have given me to use. As I walked home, lugging a bag of plant soil and a new wheel for Donnie, I thought about the whole importance of music and sound when watching a film. This, I think, is really it. In my mind, I could see parts of the film and all the ways I imagined the film being even though it will never be realised. Stills from the film of the actors and their names - nah, my credits won't be like that. I don't think I realistically have the time. But that's okay. Not everything is possible. When I got home, I pulled out Mark Travis's "The Director's Journey", which oddly enough, my friend and camera operator for the film lent to me. (note to self: must give it back). I'd read the book just before we started shooting and I'm sure I dipped into it several times through the process for help and inspiration. There's a quote at the end that rings especially true now - this is it: "There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is transcended through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable, nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You have to keep it open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you...no artist is pleased...there is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than others." --Martha Graham to Agnes De Mille After reading that, I ended up sending JM an email saying the things I'd forgotten. He's gonna do an interesting job with the soundtrack I'm sure. A few more decisions, and the film is in the can. Done. Sigh. Whatever you do, if you pick up the above book, DON'T look at the man's picture in the back. There's some scary 80s shit going on with it, I'm telling you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home