Monday, March 06, 2006

Sneeze O'Clock

I think I'm getting a cold. Heavy exhaustion was my bed-side companion when morning came, and thick flurries of sleep made it difficult to snap into consciousness. I was lucky to have a cup of tea delivered to me, followed by several more. I wanted to blame it on something I'd done over the weekend. Farewells at Audio, staying up chatting with friends til 5am, then falling asleep by fire embers on the living room floor. But there was little hedonism and lack of sleep rarely bothers me to that extent. I trudged up to the Job Centre in Portslade, which feels like the other end of the earth, but in actuality, it only took me 45 minutes to walk. I stood outside with a group of teenagers who were wondering if there was a better life than low-level jobs and collecting their dole money. I'm reading Don DeLillo's "Libra", something I've been meaning to read for years. It's been on my bookshelf and I'd never been in the mood to start it. It's an interesting account on the assassination of JFK, fleshing out a particular theory of CIA involvement and the story of the event's much-celebrated anti-hero, Lee Harvey Oswald. It's a dense read, compared to the last book I read, which was Mark Haddon's "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time". I seem to be the last person on the planet to have read that book, I know. I spent two hours this morning pouring over the Guardian website and applying for jobs. Now I need to spend some time plotting and writing. No - not on any political maneuverings. Just a 2nd novel ! I'm 55 pages + into the story, but according to Dickie, I just need to 'pound it out'. If only writing novels were as simple as that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home